Sometimes, it’s just not your day.

Yesterday, that was the case for the Warriors as they fell 2-1 to a Box Hill side featuring several former ‘Bergers.

Two heavily deflected goals saw the score line read 1-1 at half time, with both teams firmly in the contest. An already heavy pitch was made more difficult through a heavy downpour that began during the main break, lasting into the early minutes of the second half.

A stroke of good fortune early in the second half from a corner saw the visitors take the lead, which they would hold until the final whistle. Despite not scoring in the second half, Heidelberg were the stronger of the two sides and can feel aggrieved at the result.

Coach Bill Miholoudis mentioned at half time that the girls needed to up the intensity, which they did. They had a smattering of chances throughout the second half, definitively pushing the visitors onto the back foot.

Box Hill goalkeeper Bethany Mason-Jones was in fine form, denying a late chance from Holly Boldiston as well as numerous opportunities in the second 45. Ellen Turner saw her injury time strike hit the crossbar as well, with Holly Boldiston’s rebound effort coming back off the post just to add insult to injury. It just wasn’t to be the Warriors’ day.

To come away from a performance like that with no points is extremely unfortunate, but it will give them motivation heading into the almost permanent road trip they have coming up.

Turner spoke post-match about the long stretch of games away from home, stating the girls will be full of confidence.

“At the end of the day, the pitch doesn’t matter.”

“We’re a good group of girls, we’ll come together.”

The girls do have two more matches at home before ending the season on the road, with next week’s clash against South Melbourne at the Village sure to be a cracker.

With both teams neck and neck, fighting for fourth spot on the ladder leading into the finals, it’s no better time to have a good old fashioned derby.

Match Details:

Heidelberg United FC 1 (own goal 16’) – Box Hill United SC 2 (Markovski 30’, Hubbard 58’)